< The Historic VW                                                                                                                    Next >

Ivan Fuller's 1947 Split

Readers may remember the recent article by Andrew Scogings concerning his visit to the workshop of Ivan Fuller, at Inglewood near New Plymouth, on New Zealand's North Island. Andrew first met Ivan at Bad Camberg in 1999 when he was looking for parts for his 1947 Beetle, and during his visit to the workshop he had the opportunity to take some pictures of the car.

The car has the characteristic 'nipple' hub caps, and the narrow bumpers with the distinctive 'banana' shaped overiders. Note that the single tail pipe on the silencer is on the left hand side instead of on the right, as with the later cars.

With chassis 1-071167, it was built in November 1947 and imported into New Zealand shortly thereafter by Sergeant Leon Gribble of the Royal New Zealand Air Force. Purchased by its present owners in 1990, restoration started in 1992 and to date has taken approximately 2500 hours, split 50:50 between Ivan and Craig's Panel & Paint. Ivan painted the car himself, having copied the colour from the original pearl grey. Parts such as the semaphores and cogwheel carburettor were sourced from as far away as USA, Germany, Ireland and Australia. The interior is still to be completed and Ivan has found a local company who can weave the original style salt & pepper fabric from wool.

 23